Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Friend's Love


A Friend’s Love
The rain drops
Plop, plop, plop
The fire sizzles and hisses
With each drop of rain

The wind blows
Breathing life into the fire
My foot stamps frantically
Trying to put it out

Suddenly a friend
Touches my shoulder
And stands in the fire
By my side, smiling

No longer is there need
To stamp out the fire
Its life energy is a teacher
And, I, the student

Walk through the fire
Whether in darkness
Or brilliance
Be in awe of the flame

The smoke may thicken
My destination be obscured
If I am too afraid
I know I can reach for my friend’s hand

Exiting the fire
Relief washes my body
Until I see all around me
Infinite fires – big and small

With a smile
And an open heart
I look for my dear friend
Only to see now he walks through fire

The tides have turned
The moon is new
The leaves have fallen
The season has changed

With love and compassion
I enter the fire
And touch my dear friend’s shoulder
It is my turn, to gently hold space

--Janelle Alex

1 comment :

  1. I think your emotions in your blog are completely honest to you and your friends/readers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete